Even though the Czech Republic section of the Michelin Main Cities of Europe guide only rated restaurants within Prague, many restaurants of an equally high standard exist outside of Prague, especially in Brno or Olomouc. In 2021, there are 27 Prague restaurants mentioned in Michelin guide.
2 Michelin stars in Prague
Two restaurants that kept their Michelin star rating in 2019 were La Degustation Bohême Bourgeoise, with chef Oldřich Sahajdák, and Field, with chef Radek Kašpárek. Both restaurants are about 600 metres from Old Town Square. Each has one star, indicating a “very good restaurant in its category”.
Map of Michelin restaurants in Prague
Bib Gourmand restaurants in Prague
Another Michelin award, the Bib Gourmand, which is awarded to restaurants with “exceptionally good food at moderate prices”, have five restaurants:
- Divinis – an Italian restaurant owned by Zdenek Pohlreich, with Miro Čornanin as the chef.
- Eska – a restaurant with a bakery from the Ambiente network. Martin Štangl is the chef and their most famous dish is potatoes in ash with smoked fish. I like to go to Eska mainly for breakfast and sometimes for some pastries or a croissant.
- Na Kopci – Czech and French cuisine, with Petr Vlk as the chef. When I used to live and work on the other side of the river, I would come here quite often, mainly for a good steak tartare.
- The Eatery – based on traditional Czech cuisine, with Pavel Býček as the chef (formerly the head chef at the Michelin-starred Alcron).
- Dejvicka 34 – modern cuisine, especially Italian, with Tomas Černý as the chef.
The Michelin Plate in Prague
The Michelin Plate – awarded for interior, service quality and atmosphere, with less focus on haute cuisine – has been picked up by 25 restaurants in Prague. The best result went to Alcron, with 3 covers (fork and spoon symbol) out of a maximum 5, while both Michelin-starred restaurants picked up only 2 covers. Other restaurants awarded with The Michelin Plate are: Aromi, Bellevue, Benjamin, Café Imperial, Café Savoy, Casa de Carli, CottoCrudo, George Prime Steak, Grand Cru, Kalina Anežka, Kampa Park, La Finestra, La Veranda, Levitate, Pohostinec Monarch, Portfolio, Pot au Feu, Salabka, Sasazu, Spices, Terasa U Zlaté Studně, V Zátiší, Yamato and Zdenek’s Oyster Bar.
History of Michelin-starred restaurants in Prague
The first restaurant to gain a Michelin star was Allegro in the Four Seasons hotel, in 2008, under chef Andrea Accordi. This restaurant had been awarded the star three times, but later closed. Also picking up a Michelin star, in 2009, was the Maze restaurant in the Hilton hotel, with chef Gordon Ramsay, but this restaurant closed even before the award had been announced. Alcron restaurant had a Michelin star for six years (2012–2017), but lost it in 2018. No restaurant in Prague has ever been awarded more than one star.
Sansho lost his Bib in 2021, Bistrøt 104 in 2019. Sasazu and Aureole lost their Bib Gourmand in 2018. Maso a Kobliha was closed in 2018.
More information about Michelin restaurants in Prague on Michelin Guide website.